About Me

My PhotoI'm Carlos Killpack I like music, I guess you could even say its my addiction. That being said it shouldn't be much surprise to hear that I host a radio show called Indie Invasion. (Which is, by the way, the greatest radio show on earth) I play the drums and the guitar. I play football and I am Mormon, meaning that I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The purpose of writing this blog is to ponder the mysteries of the Universe and share my views of them, (cool right) therefore the topics discussed here can vary widely. Each post is filed under one or more of the categories at the top right. Please enjoy.
View my complete profile
Send any comments or suggestions you have here.

Subscribe in a reader

Pondering Life, the Universe, and Everything

Friday, February 1, 2008

Myspace


Myspace has over one million users and more people get one every day, but why? Why is everyone on Myspace? Why do so many people get addicted to this site? Seriously, I don't know. But I would like to take some time to analyze this conundrum and present a few possible reasons.

First of all I think that Myspace became popular because of social pressure. A few people got it and liked it so they invited all their friends to join. Their friends joined because they got invited, and they used it because everyone else did, eventually over a million people joined myspace.

Myspace is also the most user-friendly of the social networking sites on the web. Your profile is very easy to change and what you can do with it is very flexible. Although technically speaking the profile structure isn't the most efficient, practically speaking it is the best because it is so easy to change how your profile looks and people like that. Speaking of practicality I would like to look at a few other social networking sites I've tired.

Facebook - On a scale of one to ten I would give Facebook a one on customiziblity. Basically all you can do is add, remove, and move modules that contain 'apps' for Facebook. Although it does havc some cool apps Facebook isn't as flexible as I would like, not by a long shot.

Tagged - Tagged is designed very similarly to Facebook, but more relaxed. On Tagged you can change your theme and include third-party code in your profile but the code cannot change the theme. Themes are selected from a list built by the company, not by users who know what they want or what someone else wants.

Why do people get addicted to Myspace? Who knows, maybe its the way you can talk with your friends or maybe they just like it. This question will probably never be answered...oh, well.

1 comment:

Emma said...

I used to always be on myspace, but I'm not anymore. It's probably so popular because it's just so easy to communicate and stuff, and you get to spy on other people's profiles.
Infact, myspace is pretty good.
You should give it a chance:)

What kind of music do you play?