About Me

My PhotoI'm Carlos Killpack I like music, I guess you could even say its my addiction. That being said it shouldn't be much surprise to hear that I host a radio show called Indie Invasion. (Which is, by the way, the greatest radio show on earth) I play the drums and the guitar. I play football and I am Mormon, meaning that I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The purpose of writing this blog is to ponder the mysteries of the Universe and share my views of them, (cool right) therefore the topics discussed here can vary widely. Each post is filed under one or more of the categories at the top right. Please enjoy.
View my complete profile
Send any comments or suggestions you have here.

Subscribe in a reader

Pondering Life, the Universe, and Everything

Friday, August 17, 2007

Essay: Change

Change is becoming different when change occurs it is not usually detected until afterwards when the person looks back and sees the difference between the person now and the person then. People change all the time it’s the way things happen. Some embrace chance but some hate it and do everything they can to avoid and fight it. Regardless of view change happens to everyone, even rocks change eventually. The largest mountain could have once been the bottom of a lake, which shows that nothing can stop change. Although change is unavoidable it can still be difficult. Prejudice can change a person. If everyone, or almost everyone, believed in some rumor or false opinion it could have disastrous affects on the person. This kind of treatment could even lead the person to believe the false opinion of another. Bringing this person back to their original state would be very difficult, if anyone could remember their original state. If nobody knew how this person was it would probably be tremendously difficult.

This year I am taking seminary and it has strengthened my testimony and helped me to read the Book of Mormon regularly. Before Seminary I was decently strong in the church but seminary has really deepened my understanding of my religion and given me a new perspective on life. My new strength in the church had helped me deal with pressures and many other things and I have learned that the best way to follow something is to make the ideas yours and to make teachings and stuff part of your life. The most difficult way to follow something is to try to follow but instead of making yourself part of it you try to make it fit you. At the first of the year I was trying too hard to do things right, and I didn’t even try to remake myself so I would do things right without thinking. Now I have remade myself and now I feel no strain from anything I just take things as they come.

Before school started this year I was lazy I liked to eat and I only exercised once or twice a week. But when school started and I had Physical Education, hereafter known as P.E., and this class gave me the determination to get into shape. The more difficult change that I went through to become more fit was eating healthily it wasn’t too hard but it was harder that exercising regularly. Now I exercise more and eat healthily so I think this was a partially self-induced change. I didn’t notice at first but as I participated more in the P.E. sports I was less tired and I had more energy and then I ran the mile . . . running the mile burned all of the small amount of fat off of my legs and it hurt. But it also changed me. It gave me the determination to run because I knew I could run a mile so I wanted to be able to do it faster next time. I’m sure this change is still happening and I’m excited to see the result.

To Kill a Mockingbird or not To Kill a Mockingbird that is the question. By deeply pondering To Kill a Mockingbird I learned not to kill a mockingbird, which means not to be prejudice. Mockingbird taught me that the world would be a much better place if prejudice, one of the greatest downfalls of humanity, were eradicated and we where left with the armaments of love and understanding for our fellow human beings. Mockingbird changed me in that I really tried not to be prejudice and I discovered that I had some prejudices even though I thought I had tired not to. I also learned that prejudice is part of human nature and that humans can’t help but be somewhat prejudice. I also learned that some nature within us causes us to have opinions of someone without even knowing them. This topic was discussed in class and I remember agreeing and remembering that times I had done just that and then remembering that I had also dispelled that kind of prejudice a couple of times and I changed. This change caused me to look at people in an unbiased was and getting to know who they are without seeing them in a prejudiced way.

The change described in this paper has all been positive. Carlos had improved and learned from it. He became more fit and learned how he could reduce his prejudiceness. Change is generally good and when people embrace it change can be very beneficial to almost anyone. It can also be an obstructive thing, when people change too much somehow they can be shunned or rejected by others. Change requires a balance between positive and negative change. While having only positive change is good a little bit of weird negative change always makes things more interesting. Having a lot of negative change may attract some friends but they may not be very good friends.

No comments: